Monday, November 11, 2019

One Woman's Journey in Magic


I've gotten a lot of shit from people that I'm too upset, too outraged, or being too harsh towards men in the Magic community at large. In fact, I've lost a fair number of Twitter followers this weekend for what I can only assume is my outrage regarding the Reid Duke induction ceremony. If you're unaware, I'll keep this short. This weekend, Reid Duke broke his silence on Owen Tuternwald, as he thanked him in his Magic Hall of Fame acceptance speech. On the surface, this is just a friend thanking another friend for helping his professional and personal growth over the years. Granted, without Turtenwald, Duke would not be where he is today. However, thus far, Duke has not condemned Turtenwald for his actions. Seemingly, he remains an ally on the wrong side of the fence. Now, this could be a post about how Duke claimed to be an ally over two years ago, or how I called bullshit on them from the start. Instead, this is a post about one woman's journey through her Magic playing life. Hopefully, when I am done, you will understand how women have to put in twice the work for half the credit.

The Hook...

I remember the first time I ever saw a Magic card. I was 7 or 8, walking home from school, and I saw a Talruum Minotaur on the ground. Along the rest of my walk home from school, my brother and I picked up the various other Mirage cards that littered the ground. We had already been playing the Pokemon TCG, so we knew of Magic, but had never played. My brother learned how to play and then taught me. We were never serious, but it was always fun.

My First Gathering

Because my brother taught me to play at home, it wasn't until I was 12 that I went into an LGS for the first time.

In comparison to everyone else there, I was (1)extremelyyoung and (2) the only girl in sight. I had always been surrounded by boy cousins and my brother, so number two wasn't as difficult for me as it might be for others. However, how I was treated has remained in my mind.

At this shop, that was my LGS until I took a break from Magic in 2003, my nickname was always jailbait. To give you a grasp on that, in 2003, I was 14. Again, from the ages of 12-14, I was referred to as jailbait at my LGS. At the time, I was...I guess flattered. Looking back, it was extremely fucked up.

...Brings You Back

I think most people who have ever played Magic, will pick up cards here and there and play for fun. While I played a bit in the interim, the true moment I came back to the game was 2011.

I was dating someone who said he couldn't hang out on the weekend because he had "something nerdy to do." I asked what; he told me Magic, and the rest is history. I went with him to what would become my new LGS for the remainder of my time in college.

I was never treated like a person there. I was treated like an accessory to my boyfriend, an annoyance, an easy ***BYE***, but never a person.

Here are some examples of such treatment

  • In a pre-release, I beat a now prevalent MTG judge (that I have to see at almost every event I attend). He went off and complained to my "group of friends" that he couldn't believe he lost to me. My deck was built terribly, and basically, I'm a shit player.
  • I won a GPT. I made travel arrangements to go to that GP. One week before the tournament, my boyfriend and I were fighting, and a rider in the car (that very same judge) said he refused to be in a car that I was in. Even though I had arranged a ride weeks in advance, and I was first in the car, I was booted. I ended up getting a ride off Craigslist to this GP with a deaf stranger.
  • I played a round against someone in a PTQ who told me his friends referred to me as a bye (why tell me that idk, but here we are)

These are events that stand out in my head from my LGS. They do not reflect the numerous times I have been asked if my boyfriend got me into Magic, had opponents play ALL THEIR CARDS facing me , or had an opponent be condescending to me during a match (like I can't possibly know what these cards do). I cannot begin to point out every time an event like these have happened. They are so frequent, I try to forget they happen. Just know they do, and they do A LOT.

Let's talk about the sex...ual harassment.

  • Starting off this list with being treated like the only value I offer is being your girlfriend
  • Objectified by a well-known MTG commentator: "she's got a butter face, but got an amazing rack."
  • Objectified by a person who has t8'd a PT: "you're like built for sex- tiny and great tits."
  • Other women I know of and myself, only having a hotel room at a GP under the context that we would reciprocate in sexual favors. (see Lindsey's blog post for similarities)
  • Someone, who later went on to be hired at Wizards, had sex with me while I was blacked out. I guess we would call that rape.
  • Other women and I being prey to a well-known Magic pro. Using his position of power in the Magic community to coerce women.

Aside: Owen's transgressions were made public in March of this year (2019). In December (2018) I had started to write a blog post with my experience titled: Owen Turtenwald is The Harvey Weinstein of Magic. I reached out to every woman I knew he had been inappropriate with, and all gave the same answer. No one wanted to speak to me, Owen had too much power. They were all worried their ability to play Magic would be compromised if they spoke out against him. Imo, to this day, not much has changed. Many victims remain silent, but that isn't what this post is about. Rather, I hope it gives you insight into the type of power position holds

This list, I could go on and on about. There's a survival behavior you learn to just blend in. If you act like one of the guys, then the guys don't pick on you as much. They just pick on other women. It's not okay, and it's not something I'm proud of, but this was me for a few years. When you're a fly on the wall, you hear the way women are objectified. Hell, you even get objectified to your face. It's a power dynamic used to make women uncomfortable playing the game unless they can be "one of the guys." I have hoped it's been better in recent years, but I honestly don't know.

Why I Care So Much

For 18 years, I have dealt with being marginalized by the community in silence. In the 18th year, I decided enough was enough and spoke out. This wasn't a one-time thing, a brash decision, or me getting upset over one issue. This was, however, the straw that broke the camel's back. Enough is enough. I've been silent for far too long, and it is time to speak out against the boys club mentality.

Maybe it's dumb, but I hope someday to have a daughter I can teach to play Magic. I don't want her to ever have to go through the bullshit I had to go through. I can't bear the thought of the younger generation of women going through the tribulations all for a game they love. It's a marvel I still play this game. I guess you could say- I love Magic. However, I don't love the patriarchy, the boys club, and I certainly don't love minorities (not just women) being marginalized.

In the last year, I've become loud and outspoken on women's rights. I don't accept silence as being an ally. I know there are many links. While some are in here for my amusement, many are to show I have been dedicated to this cause for a few years now. My previous approach did not work. Being quiet did not work. Here's hoping speaking out does.

People have said to me, "You've been playing Magic for so long how are you not better?" I can also tell when some people ask how long I've been playing, that's what they think even when they don't say it.

Truth is, ya I've been playing for 18 years. However, extremely on and off. Every time I get sucked back into Magic, something happens that makes me need to pull away. Last time, it was my rapist being hired at WOTC.

It's hard to just consistently play for 18 years with all the shit you have to take by just existing in a male-dominated space. Women that become "good" at the game work hard keep their heads down and ignore the bullshit to get there. Understanding their journey wasn't as easy as yours is half the battle. Trying to make their journey better is the second part.

39 comments:

  1. Mary, just wanted to post a comment letting you know that your post was read and you aren't shouting into the void. I've also followed you on Twitter for a while, and seen all your posts about AJ and Owen. Once your info on Owen came out, I quit following him on Twitter/Twitch and have been really disappointed in the reception you've gotten. Just know that there are people out there supporting you that you've never met, and probably will never meet. You're stronger than I can imagine being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes it does feel like I'm screaming into a void... Good to know I'm not.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary,

    I'm very sorry to hear about what you've had to go through. And I support your push to make Magic less of a boys' club. The world knows that what Owen did to you was bad enough to get him ousted from Magic entirely, but we don't know the full story (nor do we deserve it). Without that knowledge, I think it's hard for the rest of us to hold people like Reid or Huey accountable for not doing more. Reid thanking Owen by name was in poor taste though, I can agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying the last point. I tried to not make this post about Reid, Huey Owen, but rather why I've finally had enough.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Mary. I've read a few of your previous pieces and this one broke my heart when you described your early LGS experiences.
    I hope that you can have faith in those of us who are listening. And that your shared experiences continue to cause people to evaluate their actions on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have hopes it's gotten slightly better, but in some comments I've seen maybe not :(

      Delete
    2. It's only better in spaces that actively work to make it better. It takes work and a willingness to do the hard thing in a moment to make it better over time. An LGS has to kick out that problem regular to open the space for people who didn't have it before. the community members not directly in the line of fire have to shoulder the burden of making it unacceptable. we need to be speaking out and making those who make people unwelcome, unwelcome themselves. the reason Reid the ally is bit of a joke is that saying the words does nothing without action to back it up

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your this, Mary. You're being heard. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very poignant read, very deep and extremely personal. I am glad someone posted this in the Magic subreddit and I got a chance to see this. You’re obviously very passionate about your thoughts and I think the world is a better place with people like you in it. Thanks again for the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it's getting more reach! I wish I could say my story were the exception to woman's experiences, but I think it's closer to the rule.

      Delete
  6. The hardest thing for me to believe out of all of this was the several comments regarding your "rack". I've seen you at events before and either the guys making these comments haven't seen much before or you were just seen as a high card in a low hand so to speak :/ if this is your usual type of content I can see why you are losing followers. When I play against women at events they are usually pretty much in agreement that they just want to play the game and stop getting attention drawn to them by women like you that just go on rants looking like fools. You do a lot more harm for your average female player than you do good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the standard victim blaming comment of "why can't you just be quiet so we don't have to acknowledge rampant sexism".

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Gotta call this out. Stuff like what Mary describes does happen. I've even seen this kind of stuff happen to men. Saying that you don't find the physical features of someone attractive, completely unsolicited, is a form of objectification itself - and perpetuates even more harmful actions.

      Delete
    4. Please grow up, for your own sake as much as anyone else's.

      Delete
  7. Just to say that your words aren't falling on deaf ears. There are many of us out there who are on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story is amazing. Good for you for searching for a store that held your values and not settling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely on side, think the way you have been treated is disgusting...it's high times things changed in this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How long have you had a mental illness?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for writing this.
    I'm a L2 judge and the judge community takes this stuff very seriously. If you want you can tell me more about the judge you are talking about and I'll bring it up to the right people. Or I can get you in touch with a judge responsible for your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the previous version where the city and state were in the post some people contacted me saying they knew who the judge was. He's been "talked to" I hear.

      Delete
  13. What you've experienced is absolutely awful. What kind of messed up circumstances are so many people growing up in, that this kind of thing is so prevalent?

    It's good that more and more people are coming out with their stories and calling out abusers. As well as bringing light to inexcusable behaviour, which has clearly been accepted by many as something that "just happens".

    You know, I don't even go to any LGS to play, and I'm just a regular guy that would fit in well. I wouldn't have any of the problems you've faced, but I've just never felt comfortable in either of the stores I could go to, for various reasons. So to me, that you've been able to keep doing what you enjoy doing, even though you've been through so much shit with it, is amazing.

    You're a very strong person.
    Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I never see women at many LGS's and I can really see why. It's funny but, the way I came to know Magic wasn't through friends but my first girlfriend. The game is actually something I'm ashamed of playing mainly because of the community I've come to know over the years, so I've become very selective with the people I choose to play with, etc. Thanks for sharing this, and here's to you having better years in Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you don't know how to read. We can add that to the other things you clearly don't have going for you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. And then he was the one banned in the end rofl If you see a bitch at a magic tournament just ignore her 100%. All female mtg players are attention whores like loucke that you wouldn't want on your dick for a million bucks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine white knighting for this ugly liar. You're either a pathetic half-man or an even uglier woman.

      Delete
  17. Wanted to add another comment saying that you’re being heard. I’m so sorry to hear about your awful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your story and fighting the good fight. I admire your courage and am very thankful you are a part of the magic community.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I suspected my wife of cheating on me but I never had any proof. This went on for months, I didn't know what to do. i was so paranoid and decided to find a solution, i saw a recommendation about a PI/Hacker and decided to contact him. I explained the situation about my wife to him and he said he was going to help me.I gave him all the informations he required and afterwards i oo received all my wife’s phones Text messages and calls, I was hurt when i saw a picture of my wife and her lover. I feel so bad about infidelity. but i am glad Mr james was able to help me get all this information, you can contact him through Gmail : (Worldcyberhackers) or WhatsApp : +12678773020 if you need help, infidelity hurts

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and i got Married last year and we have been living happily for a while. We used to be free with everything and never kept any secret from each other until recently everything changed when he got a new Job in NewYork months ago, we have been in a long distance relationship for some months,He has been avoiding my calls and i got suspicious of him cheating.I asked him about it and he told me that he is always busy and working ,We had a big argument about it,this went on for long until one day i decided to notify my friend about this and that was how she introduced me to Mr James a PI/Hacker  who helped her when she was having issues with her Husband. I never believed he could do it but until i gave him my husbands Mobile phone number. He proved to me by hacking into my husbands phone. where i found so many evidence and  proof in his Text messages, Emails and pictures that my husband has an affair with his co-worker. I have sent all the evidence to my lawyer. I just want to thank Mr James for helping me because i have all the evidence and proof for my lawyer, You can contact him on Gmail (Worldcyberhackers) or WhatsApp : +12678773020 if you need help

    ReplyDelete